Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Eeeww....Can I eat this??

Today was a very hectic and tiring day. Since it was the day before we leave for Thanksgiving break, the kids were in "Crazy-Friday-Vacation" mode. I decided to do centers for the last half of the day to keep them moving and also to teach them about Thanksgiving. I created six different stations for them to go to: Turkey gizzards-science goop (this was definitely a hit, and yes one student asked me if he could eat it), Thankful Turkeys- giving thanks from different perspectives, Turkey Dinner-planning a meal within a budget, Native American Names- creating a headdress and a Native American name, Plymouth Pilgrims- writing letters based upon the pilgrims experiences, and I give thanks- thankful books written by the students. The centers went amazingly well so I was glad my supervisor stopped in to see them. She pulled me aside afterward and told me a compliment I will never forget, "There are good teachers and teachers who are naturals and just born with it. There are many good teachers who will do well, but only a handful of naturals that will change their students lives forever, and you...are a true natural." ....wow...that meant a great deal to me. It felt good for someone to take notice in the effort and work that I put in and to acknowledge that. It was also reassuring that I chose the right profession, well I guess I should say that the right profession chose me. Now I can rest easy knowing that my many years in college were not wasted....and I definitely need the rest...

No comments:

Post a Comment